1. You must have a positive attitude. People are naturally attracted to people with positive attitudes. This clearly will give you a more likeable factor hence will ultimately help you in sales.
2. Believe in what your selling! When you believe in what your selling your not just selling a product your being its advocate. People can see passion and appreciate when someone is being truthful and honest about it. You can still sell things successfully that you don't believe in but you will reach higher altitudes when you believe in it! That's a guarantee.
3. Be confident. The worst someone can say is no. If hearing someone say no is the worst thing that could happen to you then you are lucky! Look at people directly with a positive demeanor. (with that said I'm not saying to be a Barbie or some unrealistic character, be yourself, always be who you are personality wise just be a more positive you! ) People will trust you more when you are confident and you will feel better being more confident. It starts with just asking a couple people and you will see. No isn't that bad. Every no will get you closer to a yes!
4.Read sales books, listen to motivational tapes. Trust me it helps. What a lot of these people say make perfect sense. This is why they are successful. I promise you that you will take something from either one of those.
5. Focus! When you are at work be at work. When you fully concentrate on the job at hand there is no doubt that your going to perform better.
6. Benefits Benefits Benefits! Tell the customer how the products your selling will benefit them. When a customer can see the vision, why they need it, and how that product your going to sell is going to make a difference in their life they are much more likely to buy. Learn your products(and your competitions) and be knowledgeable!
7. Don’t be pushy! Always ask for the sale as you never know what the answer will be, but never be pushy or overly aggressive. People want to feel like you’re their friend. It’s very important they feel your looking out for their best interest. Customers want to feel as if you’re there to help them not make money off of them. They do NOT want to be considered a number or just money. If you ask and they tell you no and you ask a 2nd time and they say no, I would say stop asking for the sale as you do not want to come across as begging. Provide them with your card and contact information and make sure to take theirs as a follow up. These people will appreciate the fact that you did not push them, that you were their friend, that you built a rapport, and they will return to you when they are going to purchase. Your building your pipeline this way. As a sales rep I understand the feeling of wanting to close the sale right away, but your customers will return to you and refer more people to you if you build a relationship with them.
8. Be who you are! I know a lot of these corporate companies have mandated phrases and statements they want you to read like your a robot. They take away your individuality so you can’t be yourself. I am not telling you to go get yourself fired and to do the opposite of what your management asks of you, however I am saying that you shouldn’t have to change who you are to cater to anyone. Ever. Including your job. Customers can see when your talking to them scripted. They are not idiots. They want to be conversed with not spoken to off of a script.
9. Ask Open ended questions. The point of asking open ended questions is to get that person talking to you so you can use your Sherlock Holmes ability and use context clues to help you with your sales!
10. Listen. A lot of sales rep make the mistake of talking too much. Don't forget to listen to what customers are saying. It's with their words that you need to tailor your sales pitch around. They will provide you information, you just need to listen and hear the clues.
11. Tone/Body Language. I know most of you have heard the phrase at least once in your life "it's not what you say, but how you say it" . It is very important to not sound lifeless, unhappy, and like you clearly don't want to be at work. No one wants to speak with you if you are upset at life. Even if you are saying great things to someone if you are saying it with a whisper and with no confidence, or sound irritable you will not make that sale.
12. Follow Up. This is so important. You can easily have a pipeline built of customers if you just follow up with them. Remember alot of people are struggling right now with the economy, but they are not going to struggle for forever. People are rescourceful. If you have built your pipeline and your relationship with those people, they will call you back or come back to see you(plus referrals). Even if you know they are not ready to buy for 6 months, its a great idea to call them back way before then just to remind them that your on the look out for any sale prices for them and that you haven't forgotten about them. They will not go anywhere else when it's time to buy.
13. Do your word. If you tell someone your going to do something. Do it. It's pretty simple. You will feel better about yourself at the end of the day as well if you do what you say your going to do. People will respect you. Respect is a powerful sales tool.