Had a bad day?
We all do! It’s okay. We have all had many bad days in our lifetimes thus far. The question is now how do you handle a bad day? I know for myself in the past I may have let it completely change my attitude in a negative light and in turn may actually make things worse for myself. If you realized your having a bad day remember to be aware of that and to not take it out on anyone. The goal is even when having a bad day to not let it ruin your motivation and to take things for exactly what they are. Don’t spend too much time over analyzing everything over and over. It will only get worse this way! If you have had a bad day at work , school , or at home there are a few things you can go do try to wash the bad day away. Below are some tips that work well for me.
1. Know that it’s just a bad day and nothing more and that tomorrow is another day! Accept that not every day is going to be perfect and when a bad day does come along have the POSITIVE attitude that it will NOT happen again tomorrow.
2. If you have had a rough day at work/school after coming home hop right into the shower. I find that the hot water relaxes my body, it also allows for some “debunk” time to clear your thoughts. This is great especially for those of us who do not live alone. Whether you have roommates or you have a family this time allows you to “wash” the bad day away, a few minutes in silence, and to have a fresh clean feeling that will enhance your mood.
3. Talk to someone! Hopefully all of us have someone in our lives who truly care about us and if we have bad days.(if you don’t please join our forums we can be your support) Vent let it out. With that being said do not be “Debbie Downer” with that person always. Make sure that you are not always bombarding that person with negative energy. If you had a bad day one of the best ways to move on is to put it in your past. So when you vent put a time limit on how long your going to talk about it. Give yourself 10 minutes to vent about whatever made your day bad and then start talking to your friend about things that’s going to change your mood for the better. My mom always said it’s okay to have a pity party but you have to know when to end the party.
4. Take a nap! Clearly everyone has heard the saying “did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?” If you have a chance to take an hour and have a nap in the middle of the day then do it! You will be in a much better mood the second time around when you wake up.
5. Day dream. Whenever your bad day is in progress tell yourself that A. tomorrow is another day and B. dream about where you want to be and what makes you the happiest. Most of us have goals and destinations we are trying to get to in life. Use those goals to keep you positive and motivated. I’ll imagine myself in Sicily in a nice villa near the sea and suddenly I feel a lot less stressed.
6. Cook a good meal or read a good book. Do whatever therapeutic hobby that makes you escape the problems in your mind. Others hobbies may be writing, drawing, painting, exercising, watching a good movie etc..
7. If you have kids take them to the park or if you have a pet take them for a walk. I don’t have kids yet but my dog loves me so much it always makes me feel better when he is so happy to see me. It never fails bad day or not I come home and he runs down the stairs so excited to see me. When he is happy it makes me happy too. I’m sure kids have the same effect on parents. I’ve seen my nephew get so excited to see his mommy and daddy how can that NOT put a smile on your face? Realize that the world is so much bigger than the problems or bad day we just had.
8. Have something to look forward to. Surely there is something that your looking forward to beyond the bad day your having, if so think about that! If there is nothing your looking forward to, now’s your chance to plan something. Can be anything from a spa day to a planned day off to spend how you choose or a vacation of sorts.
9. Read quotes that are inspirational. They always put me in a better more positive mood. Everyone can use some wise words!
10. Have a stress ball or buy a small punching bag. You can squeeze a stress ball or punch the bag whenever you want to release some stress.
11. Watch a comedy show! Who doesn't love to laugh? Laughing is good for the soul and will turn a bad mood right around.
12. Sex. I'm not telling you to go have sex with some random person, but if your in a relationship then have some fun! I'm just saying it's no secret that sex can be a great stress reliever and a great way to end a bad day and maybe help have a pep in your step the next day!
13. Cheer someone else up! Make someone else smile! That usually will make a bad mood or bad day melt right away.
As you can see there are many ways to unwind from a bad day. Just remember that tomorrow is another day and at the least know that you are blessed to be around today even if it’s a bad day.